An Unexpected Turn

July 15, 2019

I wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, like I do typically, many times a night, due to pregnancy.  Although this time I’m met with much more than I anticipated.  Blood, and an alarming amount.  I immediately get cleaned up and get back in bed and just hope it away.  Obviously, my anxiety gets the best of me, I text my mom, ask her if she can come over to watch Mabel.  She obviously jumps in the car and is there before I can even get Brendan up and informed on what is going on.

I’ll be honest.  On our way to the hospital that night, I had told myself that this was it.  It was happening, again.  We were admitted and they ran all of the appropriate tests.  All I wanted to see was the ultrasound.  We were in the ER, so after we checked all of the boxes and a few hours later, the ultrasound tech came in.  She did her thing and said nothing.  The screen wasn’t pointed toward me but Brendan was doing his best to decipher the grainy images on the screen.  I asked her if she could tell me the heartbeats and she said “No, but I will tell you they’re moving around so much its hard for me to do this ultrasound”.  Relief.  Disbelief.

They sent us home that night with a diagnosis of free fluid (blood) in my uterus.  They said this was pretty typical especially in IVF patients.  We were told to follow up with my OB soon.

This is where I tell you, that in the OB department, I am BLESSED.  Not many people can say that they personally know 4 out of the 6 OB’s in their hospitals practice.  Having not one of them, but all 4 of them in your contact list.  I try not to abuse this blessing but I will say I may have reached out to a few of them after this night.  I am so thankful for all of them!

July 18, 2019

All has been well since my episode a few days earlier.  We had a good friend come in town so we all went to dinner at my brother’s restaurant.  As were sitting at dinner I have an odd sensation and dread pretty much overwhelms me.  I get out of my chair and there is the evidence.  Blood all over the seat and all over the back of my dress.  I rush out and start calling my contacts!  I’m told to go home and take it easy, no need to go back to the ER unless the bleeding doesn’t stop.  Thankfully soon after I’m home the bleeding stops.

July 23, 2019

This is the day of my follow up appointment with Dr. Hood. I first have an ultrasound and again, am told that the babies look great.  Another sigh of relief.  The ultrasound tech gives us our pictures but doesn’t tell us much else.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1mB0IpdggjtsRlrrZEWVG1Sw5E7378upwhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1pO9EmioAmtI9PdcqCHPKNu7vl9Fx7UjV
When Dr. Hood comes in she’s still chipper as ever but I could tell there was something up.  She tells me I have a blood clot.  I don’t really know how to react to that.  I think Brendan was in the same boat. It’s a little over 5.5cm and they aren’t sure where it’s coming from or where it’s attached to.  At this point, the third sac has collapsed so we don’t know if it’s part of that but we need to watch it.  I’m scared to death but she comforts me, puts me on modified bed rest and tells me to continue with our plans to go out West at the end of that week.  She told me when I got back she would see me once a week just to keep an eye on the clot.  That made me feel much much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day at a Time

Imagine This...

New Doctor! Gender Reveal!